By: Debbie Banks, Lago Mar Resort and Club
Today, June 14, is National Bourbon Day! To help you celebrate, we wanted to share with you three delicious, bourbon filled cocktails you can make at home.
A little bourbon history before you start drinking:
As it turns out, today also the 225rd “anniversary of the day that the Rev. Elijah Craig first distilled whiskey from corn in Bourbon County, Kentucky. (Elijah Craig’s name lives on as a premium bourbon brand from Heaven Hill.) In 1964, Congress declared that “bourbon whiskey is a distinctive product of the United States.” Any day is worth celebrating America’s native spirit.”
- Courtesy of Eatocracy
Bourbon Day Mint Julep
- 4 Mint Leaves
- 1 tsp Sugar (powpered preferably)
- 1 tsp Water
- Ice (enough to fill glass)
- 2.5 oz Bourbon
- In a Collins or high ball glass, muddle mint leaves, sugar and water.
- Add cracked ice to fill glass.
- To finish, add bourbon and enjoy!
Bourbon Day Manhattan
- ¾ oz Sweet Vermouth
- 2.5 oz Bourbon
- Cherry to garnish
- Dash of bitters
- Orange Peel to garnish
- Add bourbon and vermouth in a glass with 2 – 3 ice cubes.
- Stir gently so as not to bruise the liquors.
- In a martinit glass, add your cherry.
- Strain liquor into martini glass and enjoy!
Bourbon Day Old Fashioned
- 1.5 oz Bourbon
- 2 dashes of Bitters
- Splash of Club Soda
- 2 Orange Slices
- 2 Maraschino Cherries
- In an Old Fashioned Glass (a low ball, rocks or short tumbler all work) muddle bitters, 1 orange slice, 1 cherry, sugar and a splash club soda.
- Remove orange rind and add bourbon, then fill with ice.
- Garnish with a fresh orange slice and a cherry and enjoy.